To Honor....Or Not?

Growing up, I took a lot of things for granted and had a "I don't care" and naive attitude towards life. Praise the Lord He can change the hardest of hearts! I was just going "through the motions", not taking the time to enjoy the scenery of life and learn the little (and big) lessons of how to live. I have 2 amazing, godly parents that led the way, but I wasn't listening to their words and actions... I wasn't honoring them.

To honor....or not? Do your parents deserve to be honored, and what does the Bible say about it?
Ephesians 6:2-3 says "Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;), That is may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."

You've heard the story of the kid at Christmas time that wanted the BB gun for a present and kept on hearing "You'll shoot your eye out!". Maybe Ephesians 6:3 applies to that kid.

Honoring, or obeying, your parents isn't a tough thing to do, but even some adults seem to have trouble doing it. 

My grandmother has been in kidney failure for the passed 2 years now. My Dad has been the main caregiver to her and I see daily what "honoring your parent(s)" means. They might not see eye-to-eye on every little thing, but my Dad is a godly man that honors his mother in every way. God gave my Dad a humble, servant's heart, and I learn so many strong, character-building things from him. My Mom, as well. She was caregiver to her parents and honored them each, even when the times got tough. I was young and was shielded from a lot of things during those care-giving years, but I still saw what a strong, obedient daughter was supposed to be, by watching my Mom. 

It's sad that children, young AND old, don't see the importance in honoring their parents, even though God COMMANDED it. He even promised good, long years brought forth from being obedient.

If you don't have a good, honoring relationship with your parents and they are still alive, you need to change some things. See your parents from God's point of view. Even if they messed up, did wrong, etc., God still made them human with a free will, but He also gave forgiveness, and grace, and mercy. You should show the same to them. 

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17 
Don't let pride and sin hold you back from a wonderful, God-honoring relationship with your parents. It is a blessing to honor them, not a bad thing.


 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Times of Trouble

Lies to Truth: What this Single Mom Believes

An Open Letter to my Son's Future Mother-in-Law